Find out the answers to the most commonly asked questions about S.A.G.E. UV, how it works, and how it can help protect you, your customers, and your employees.
1. What are the benefits of Violet Defense’s S.A.G.E. UV products?
Violet Defense created the S.A.G.E. line of products because we believed there had to be a better way to keep us all safe from harmful bacteria and viruses that cause millions of people to get sick every year and unfortunately, far too many deaths. We are on a mission to bring the power of ultraviolet and violet-blue light, which kills up to 99.9% of harmful germs, to everyday spaces. Our solutions are safe, proven, and effective that can provide you an insurance policy to protect you and your family from harmful bacteria and viruses.
2. How does UV light work?
UV light is energy at a frequency that has been proven effective at killing bacteria, fungus, mold, and viruses. When the energy hits these single-celled organisms, it is absorbed and destroys the RNA and/or DNA of the germs – leading to inability to reproduce and death of the organism. For more information, download our Guide to Understanding UV.
3. How do you know that S.A.G.E. UV works?
There have been over 100 years’ worth of research conducted on the effectiveness of UV against harmful pathogens, including bacteria and viruses. For more information, this NIH-funded study summarized key research on the effectiveness of UV.
Specifically, our S.A.G.E. UV units have been tested against key pathogens of concern for the industries that we are helping protect. Clinical validation testing from an independent, third party laboratory has proven that we can kill up to 99.9% of E. Coli, Salmonella, Norovirus, and MRSA. For more information about these harmful pathogens, click here.
4. How is UV different than other cleaning methods?
UV has a few critical benefits that help it stand apart from the alternatives.
- Chemical-Free: UV is a chemical-free option that effectively kills the harmful germs you are concerned about. With recent studies demonstrating major health risks for long-term use of chemicals, this may help reduce the use of harmful chemicals.
- Reliable: In 2 billion years, microbes have not built a resistance to this method of cleaning, unlike certain disinfectants that have reduced effectiveness over time as microbes adapt.
- Consistent: Light will kill germs wherever the light touches. You don't have to worry about spots you might have missed or items that you can't clean well with chemicals. It not only helps control germs on surfaces, but in the air as well.
- Autonomous: Our bathroom fan covers can run automatically when the room is unoccupied - creating a self-sanitizing bathroom.
5. How would you recommend I use this in my space?
The S.A.G.E. UV line of products are designed to be a supplement to existing cleaning you already do. Once you have wiped away any visible dirt or grime, the units can then be activated to disinfect the space to protect against any harmful bacteria or viruses.
Our S.A.G.E. Micro unit will run a pre-programmed 30-minute cycle every time you turn it on. Place it in the room facing the area of the room you want to disinfect, turn it on, and then leave the room. When you return, the room will be disinfected anywhere the light touched. It could be even used to disinfect objects like your cell phone, children's toys, remotes, or other hard-to-clean items by placing them in front of the unit.
Most S.A.G.E. Products are designed to clean about a 10' x 10' area at a time, so depending on the size of your room you may need to run it more than once. With ultraviolet light, killing germs is based on time of exposure to the light and distance away from the light. The farther away the light is the longer it would need to run to effectively kill bacteria and viruses.
If you are dealing with cleaning any bodily fluids, you may want to run the units before and after cleaning the area for additional protection.
6. Do you have a solution that could help clean rooms continuously?
Our S.A.G.E. Blu units operate using LED lights in the violet-blue spectrum that are safe to run full-time. These have been proven effective against bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella. For more information about the effectiveness of the violet blue spectrum, visit our how it works section.
7. I’ve never had any issues. Why do I need this technology?
Protecting yourself and your family from becoming ill is a challenge, especially with young children. The S.A.G.E. line of products are designed to provide an additional layer of protection to prevent issues. Even with the best of intentions, there is a high likelihood that areas will be missed or chemicals won't be left on long enough to do their job (which can be up to 10 minutes of surfaces remaining visibly wet). There are so many places in every type of space that can be difficult to keep clean using traditional methods.
8. I usually clean with chemicals. How would this help me?
There are a few main reasons we think chemicals can be challenging.
- It can be difficult to find the right disinfectant for every situation without risking damaging the surface you are trying to clean (i.e. bleach is great on a lot of things, but it's also a corrosive chemical)
- Disinfectant cleaners and wipes often take a lot longer to work than you realize. Surfaces have to stay visibly wet for 2-10 minutes to achieve the advertised results.
- Germs may easily transfer between locations if you are not changing rags or sponges frequently enough.
- Cleaning everywhere, every day is time-consuming and it's easy to miss an area. Even hospital cleaning staff have been known to leave nearly 50% of surfaces still contaminated.
- The products you are using may be harmful to you and to the environment. Recent studies have shown that long-term use of chemical cleaners may lead to increased risk of lung disease or decreased lung function similar to a 20-cigarette a day smoking habit.
S.A.G.E. UV can provide insurance against these potential pitfalls of only using chemicals in your protocols. Our products have been tested and proven to effectively kill up to 99.9% of the key pathogens, including E. coli, Salmonella, MRSA and Norovirus. Even better, ultraviolet light will work consistently every day – killing germs everywhere the light touches.
This will provide additional protection against any potential mistakes or missed areas during your regular cleaning.
9. I don’t have a lot of money for something like this. How could I justify this expense?
Due to the long-lasting nature of our products, our S.A.G.E. UV Micro unit, which should last 5-6 years with normal use, can provide protection throughout your home or when you travel for about 22 cents a day. For anyone who has spent way more than that on doctor's visits or trips to the pharmacy during flu season, they might easily say it's worth the investment.
10. Is this safe?
The S.A.G.E. UV units have built-in passive infrared (PIR) sensors used to detect motion in a space. If the sensor detects motion, the unit will not flash. The unit will not resume operation of the cleaning cycle until it has successfully detected the space is free of motion. If any issues are detected with the sensor, the unit will not operate. The units may also be programmed to operate at a specific time of day or via a switch so you only activate them when the room will be unoccupied for the desired cleaning cycle.
Even if we didn't have these built-in sensors, there is very little exposure to UV - it is about 1000 times less than what you would get while being outdoors in the sun. The light is bright (one of the main reasons to not be in the room while unit operates), but UV can't penetrate glass, so you could safely see the unit operate if on the other side of a window or glass door.